If you are ready you can book online now
Birth Control Q & A
What are the various types of birth control?
There are medical and non-medical types of birth control. Some are types that you perform on a daily basis or each time you have sex, and others are types that will last for years. The following is a list of birth control types, listed in order of effectiveness with the most effective at the top. They include:
- female tubal ligation and male vasectomy: These are surgical and permanent sterilization options.
- Intrauterine devices and hormonal implants: These long-acting and reversible contraceptives are inserted once and can last from three to ten years, depending on the method used
- Pill, mini pill, patch, shot, vaginal ring: These short-acting hormonal methods that last for a short period of time. The Birth Control pill is the most popular but it must be taken daily.
- Condoms, diaphragms, sponge, cervical cap: These barrier methods require you to use them each time you have sex
- Ovulation and fertility monitoring: These natural rhythm methods require women to avoid having sex around the times of the month that they are most vulnerable to fertilization of their eggs.
Each of these birth control types has specific instructions to follow in order to be effective. Please make an appointment With Dr. Kushner, Dr. Mariz or Samantha Keston and they wil be happy to help you make the right choice of Birth Control for you.